For those of us that seem to get stumped at getting our kids to talk about their school day at the dinner table, here are some fun suggestions for alternative questions! See if any of these icebreakers help instigate some fun conversations!
1. If you could switch seats with anyone in class, who would it be? And why?
2. Did anyone do anything silly to make you laugh?
3. Who did you sit with at lunch?
4. Can you tell me an example of kindness you saw/showed?
5. Was there an example of unkindness? How did you respond?
6. Does everyone have a friend at recess?
7. What was the book about that your teacher read?
8. What’s the word of the week?
9. Did anyone cry?
10. What did you do that was creative?
11. What is the most popular game at recess?
12. What was the best thing that happened today?
13. Did you learn something you didn’t understand?
14. Did you help anyone today?
15. What was the peak and the pit?
16. Was anyone in your class gone today?
17. Did you tell anyone “thank you?”
18. What was your least favorite part of the day?
19. What is something you heard that surprised you?
20. Who did you play with today?
21. Tell me something you know today that you didn’t know yesterday.
22. What is something that challenged you?
23. How did someone fill your bucket today? Whose bucket did you fill?
24. Did you like your lunch?
25. Rate your day on a scale from 1-10.
26. Did anyone get in trouble today?
27. What questions did you ask at school today?
28. Did anyone sing today?
29. What are you looking forward to tomorrow?
30. What are you reading?
31. What was the hardest rule to follow today?
32. Teach me something I don’t know.
33. Who did you share your snacks with at lunch?
34. What made your teacher smile? What made her frown?
35. What made you feel happy?
36. Did you learn any new words today?
37. What do you hope to do before school is out for the year?
38. What is your least favorite part of the school building? And favorite?
39. If you switched places with your teacher, what would you teach the class?
40. What is the best thing on the playground?